Thursday, May 22, 2008

Last "Regular" Appointment

Today I had my last appointment with my wonderful doctor, Dr. McKenzie. I am really going to miss him and the nurses and going to my appointments over at OBGYN-South! My appointment went really well and I left feeling a lot better than I have lately about the rest of my prenatal care. Basically, Dr. M explained that I will go back to see Dr. Owen (who diagnosed Emma Kate) and they will make sure that I am taken care of by that office. If for some reason I am not comfortable with Dr. Owen and that group of doctors, Dr. M's office will look into another Maternal/Fetal OB at UAB. Essentially, they want to be assured, just as I do, that I will be well taken care of! That made me feel wonderful and a lot less stressed! Dr. M also encouraged me to call or email him if I want clarification or just his thoughts on anything else that I will encounter over at UAB. I really appreciated that.

I don't go over to see Dr. Owen again until June 12. My next doctor visit will be with Dr. Colvin, Emma Kate's pediatric cardiologist, next Wednesday, the 28th.

I just got finished reading the story of a little boy named Phillip, who was born in 1996 with HLHS. He was diagnosed after birth. His story was not easy for me to read, as I am sure that Emma Kate will be going through just about all he went through. I teared up quite a lot and wondered how I will feel when I have to face these situations. What I liked about this site was that it was very readable (if that makes any sense.) I am assuming that Phillip's dad wrote out his story and it is very thorough and explains all that they went through really well. If you are interested in reading it, click here. I found this link through Erika's blog on her baby, Samson. She's got a great list of resources, and I look at them a lot. (Thank you, Erika!)

Also, thanks ladies, for the sweet words of encouragement! I know in my heart that I couldn't have changed anything with EK's situation but I really appreciate all of the reassurance. :)

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your appointment tomorrow. Please give us a call and let us know how it goes. We've all been thinking about you guys! I'm so glad that your doctor was able to help reassure you a little. I know it will be difficult, after the relationship you have developed with him, to leave and go to a new doctor, but there is a reason for all of this. I truly believe that. And from the way it sounds, you won't really be leaving this doctor, you're just adding some more! So you and Emma Kate will definitely be taken care of!
    I hope the appointment tomorrow goes well, and that you and Anna Brooke travel safely this week.
    Love,
    Kristy, Stephen & David Micah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bethany!! I had an itching feeling that you also had a blog, and at last I found it available on your Facebook! I hope things are well for you; I have enjoyed catching myself up on your posts and hope that new information about Emma Kate has given you and your family refreshed hope...I have added yours and Brooks blogs, as well as your photography blog, to my blog (I hope you don't mind). I look forward to reading more on how things are going; take care!!

    ReplyDelete

Designed with love by BDD