Friday, June 13, 2008

Emma Kate's Aorta

diagram of a hypoplastic left heart



We went to see a doctor in fetal anomalies named Dr. Davis who I actually really liked. He is part of the practice that Dr. Owen is also part of. Dr. Davis was great! All he did was a sono. My regular check up (where they do weight, blood pressure, etc) is next week. Anyway, Emma Kate is growing really well, he said. She weighs about 3 lbs, 3 ozs. All that is normal, 54th percentile for babies her gestational age. However, he said he didn't see her aorta, which is a major blood vessel from the left ventricle to the body. Typically in HLHS patients, the aorta is abnormally small. For some reason, when he said that he didn't see this, it really freaked me out!

At our last visit to Dr. Colvin, he said that he thought he saw it, and even measured it at about 1mm (normal at this point is about 5 or 6mm, I believe). However, he could not be 100% certain that he saw it. That gives me a little more hope.


Our next visit with Colvin is in 2 weeks. I am sure he'll look again for it. As I've learned recently, the heart is still growing and things tend to "appear" (easier to see?) later as she gets bigger. If I feel the need, I'll get a second opinion on her heart maybe by sending tapes up to Boston or Philadelphia. I hadn't even thought about this until I e-mailed Erika (Sammy's mom) to ask her what her thoughts were. Another HLHS mom suggested getting another opinion. I'm glad I have this support, because I don't know what I would do without it. I'd be lost, for sure! (Thank you, Erika, and other moms, for all your support!)


Anyway, I don't know what the prognosis is for a child without an aorta, but my request is to please pray that Emma Kate has hers!! I know God isn't going to give us anything we can't handle... its just so scary. On the way home from our appointment, I just broke down. I have been so emotionally exhausted ever since. It's been very hard just to think about Emma Kate going through all she will go through. It isn't too late to pray for healing, either. I believe she will be healed with all my heart, however God chooses to do so.


By the way, we got a little more clarification on the whole "going to Boston" issue. Dr. Davis was very aware of the surgeon leaving who performs the Norwood (1st surgery) before my due date. He said that he would suggest we have Emma Kate here, in Birmingham, and afterwards, she will be airlifted to Boston or Philadelphia or somewhere else. (I still have some questions about when we will find out where!) Then we will follow. Another prayer request: Anna Brooke. I am assuming that we will bring her with us, but we'll obviously be busy. Just pray that we have adequate help with her. I don't know how, but I have faith that God will work it out. I have to have faith in this, because it is driving me crazy to think about leaving her.


Okay... I'm really tired. Goodnight!

3 comments:

  1. your thoughts are with me bethany!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay so I think I meant to write that my thoughts are with you...I am such a goof.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bethany,
    We will be available for you however you need us, in Birmingham, Boston, wherever. Everything is going to work out!

    We love you,
    Kathy and Jeff

    ReplyDelete

Designed with love by BDD