Wednesday, April 22, 2009

One Year Ago Today

One year ago today we learned that Emma Kate did not have a whole heart, and it turned my world upside down. You can read my original post from when we found out by clicking HERE. This period of my life has been on my mind so much lately. I'm not quite sure that I realized it at the time, but looking back, I think in the moments that I learned that Emma Kate's heart isn't normal, I became an adult. My priorities changed. I realized that God had a much different plan than I had ever envisioned. He has a plan for Emma Kate and for me and our family. God has used Emma Kate already in her short life to show others His love.

Today as I think about all that has happened in the last year, I am so grateful and very thankful for my precious little daughter. I am thankful that her birth and surgeries have all gone well. I am grateful for all of the support and prayers that have come her way. I am thankful for all of the doctors, nurses and her surgeon that are so talented. I am also thankful for all of the families I have come to know that have "heart babies." I know if it weren't for Emma Kate, I would probably never know them.
Emma Kate's heart will always be an issue in her life and in mine, too. It is something that we will always have to deal with. I'm sure it will remain in the back of my mind at all times. It isn't something most people can understand, but I know that I will always probably be overly-cautious with her. I don't want to treat her any differently, but I think that will be a challenge for me.

I have also realized what a great miracle a healthy baby is coming into this world. I am glad that I don't take life for granted any more. So many times, we picture getting married, having a baby and moving on with life. Having a child with a heart defect or any other health issue or special need will put life into perspective. We could have lost Emma Kate if she had been born twenty years earlier, or if the ultrasound techs didn't catch her heart defect before she was born. We could have lost her if the surgeons' hand slipped during surgery or if we didn't know what to look for when she was in distress. Her life is a complete miracle! It is amazing that she is alive and living a normal life with half of a heart!

I am in awe. I am thankful for my sweet miracle.

I wish I could go back a year ago and tell myself that it would all be okay. That the next few months would be the most challenging I would ever face. But, that Emma Kate would not only survive her birth, but also survive two open-heart surgeries! That she would have complications, and have to endure yet another surgery, but that she would survive. And the best part of it all, is that she would be happy through it all.

Thank You, Jesus, for the blessing of our sweet daughter, Emma Kate, and for giving her the most peaceful spirit a child could have. Thank You for preparing us ahead of time for what was to come. And thank You for Your love and Your promises to us. Thank You for showing us Your love through our little girl.

8 comments:

  1. I love you guys - and I'm so glad that we've gotten to know Emma Kate, and can't wait to spend many more family weekends and trips together! Emma Kate is a Miracle, but I think you and Brooks are miracles as well! You have both handled everything so amazingly. And although you say you have to try hard to not treat Emma Kate differently, I only see a mother and father who treat their daughter as if they love her more than themselves. I believe you guys are doing a great job!
    Love,
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very touching. Today I had my 20 week ultrasound. Our baby looked fine in every way. Your experience taught me to see what a miracle that is, and I thought of you during the ultrasound. I cried tears of joy thanking God. But you also taught me that no matter what, it will be okay. And I had that peace going into it. Much love, Melia

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are very sweet reflections. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for letting us walk this journey with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. God is so good. It is really hard to explain to people, but I, too feel like I became an adult 2 years ago. It sounds really weird to say, but I feel like I'm too young to go through something like this. The last 2 years with Maggie Jane have aged me so much, but in a good way. I have learned so much and gained so much. I am blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post...you're singin' my song, sister! Amazing how our precious heart girls changed our lives forever and for the GOOD! It is so hard to explain this to others, only other heart mommies can truly understand it. Bless Emma Kate and her mommy too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I came across your blog through Maddie's blog. You have an adorable daughter. I also have an HLHS daughter who is 16 months old. As I was reading your comments, I thought of how truly blessed we are and how Good our God is! Thank you for giving glory to Jesus the Creator and Savior of our souls. You have blessed another sister in the Lord.
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an inspiring entry!! It is obvious that God has truly blessed your life beyond measure and grown you up in a way that could not have happened otherwise. Tears filled my eyes as a read and realized the miracle that we all have read about for the past year. Your family will remain in my prayers and my heart for ever!

    With love,
    Terri (or my other favorite name Mimi to John Ross)

    ReplyDelete

Designed with love by BDD