Thursday, January 8, 2009

Home Care & Cardiology Visits

Yesterday our home care nurse, Mia, came over to give Emma Kate her Synagis injection. This helps prevent RSV. Lately I've heard of a lot of children contracting RSV(respiratory syncytial virus), which causes infection of the lungs and breathing passages. It can be really dangerous if an infant contracts it, especially ones like our little Emma Kate, with compromised heart function. Apparently there are strict regulations in Alabama for getting approved for Synagis. Cardiac and respiratory babies are at the top of the list for receiving them, thankfully, so we were approved. And even more thankfully, it is covered! These shots can cost up to $1600 a pop! And she gets one each month! So that is a blessing!
This is Emma Kate and Mia. She is so sweet. I am sad that we will only be seeing her two or three more times. She has been so great with Emma Kate! After her next Synagis, EK will be discharged from home care, which is exciting, but at the same time, it was nice to have her weight checked every so often with a nurse that comes to our home!


On Tuesday Emma Kate had her last cardiology appointment before her surgery. Dr. Law did an echo and said her heart function still looked good. He has a really positive outlook on her surgery and recovery. She weighs 11 pounds, 12 ounces!!

Right now, Emma Kate is on several medications. Each day, this is her routine:

Reglan (used to assist movement of food from the stomach into the intestines; used for the treatment of reflux) .3ml, three times daily
Captopril (treats hypertension) 2ml, three times daily
Lasix (commonly used diuretic) 0.5ml, once daily
Prevacid (antacid; treats reflux) 2.5ml, once daily
Aspirin (help prevent blood from clotting) 40mg, once daily


Dr. Law said she could probably be taken off the Lasix, but I guess since she is about to have surgery she might be put right back on. She could do just fine without it right now, though. I will be anxious to see what her meds will look like after surgery; if they will change any.
I am getting a little nervous about going back to Atlanta, but I suppose that is pretty normal. I can't believe it is only two weeks away! I am thankful, though, and I am looking forward to more normal days at home afterward.

4 comments:

  1. Great photo of EK and her own very special nurse! I know you will hate to lose that special touch! But we continue to pray for all of you, and I'm SO glad she had a good check at the cardiologist. We are anxious for surgery 2, too! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am 30 years old and I was born with HRHS PA/IVS. I just wanted to let you know I started a blog this year. Where I am featuring adults with CHD where they tell their stories and answer question from parents. I hope you will come by and visit our site.
    http://inspiringhearts.blogspot.com
    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma Kate is so adorable! And I bet that's hard, keeping up with all those meds. I have a hard time when my kids are on any medication!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS. I just love the look of your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Designed with love by BDD