Friday, January 15, 2010

Humbled and Grateful

It is seven in the morning, but it feels earlier than that. All the lights are still off in my house. Everyone is still asleep but me. I don't know why I do this sometimes; maybe I am drawn to the rare silence. I've been doing a lot of thinking here in the dark. Thinking about all the people in Haiti and how devastating this earthquake has been on this country; thinking about how fortunate I am and how I take it for granted every day. What I value really has no true value at all.

Brooks and I were up late last night talking. I felt compelled to go to the Compassion International website while we were chatting. When I was growing up, my parents sponsored three children through this ministry; one child for each of their three children. One of the girls we sponsored was from Honduras and her name was Wendy. We sponsored her until she graduated from the program. She was doing so well, that she didn't need assistance anymore.  Last night, as I scrolled through the hundreds of photographs of children who didn't yet have sponsors, I started to tear up. I read about their living conditions, their parents' jobs (if they are employed), and their favorite games to play. What I value doesn't really matter, I thought. They value the basics needed to sustain life. They live in huts with dirt floors and they are content if they have a full belly.  I complain if we don't have "enough" food in the pantry (do I need to go back to the grocery store already?) or if our house feels cold (I'm "freezing" at 68 degrees) or if the cable is out (are you kidding? I can't watch my shows?).  How selfish am I?  My fingers clicked some more keys and  I found out how to sponsor one of these children in need. Today I am going to have Anna Brooke help me choose a child for our family to sponsor. I hope eventually, we can sponsor several children, because so many of them need help.

After I left the Compassion website, I was reading a few blogs and somehow ended up clicking on this blog I'd never read before. It details the account of a family who has adopted a child from Korea. They had already adopted one child before. This couple desperately wants children! In total, I believe they had six pregnancies that ended in miscarriage and two failed adoptions in the past. Wow, I thought, through all of this heartache and discouragement, they have the perseverance to press on. I think if I had six failed pregnancies and two failed adoptions I would give up. I would think that I wasn't meant to have children.

And how often do I take my own children for granted? A lot. With everything we've been through, I think I take them for granted a lot less than I did when I just had Anna Brooke, but it still happens.  Back in November, we found out that we are expecting our third child. I'm going to be honest with you, friends, I was kind of upset about it. I cried about it and even complained a little bit. What was I thinking? There's really no excuse for that kind of behavior when a life is growing inside of you. I should have felt totally blessed. Instead I felt overwhelmed and very scared. I had decided in my head that after Emma Kate, I didn't want to have any more children. I don't think I could bear to see another child endure all that she has. I didn't want to bring another child into this world who would have to suffer.

Then, after reading that blog last night, it just hit me: I AM BLESSED BEYOND MEASURE! Of course, I'm nervous and scared for this baby. But I still love him or her. I never, ever want to take life for granted. How selfish was I to walk out of the bathroom, after taking the pregnancy test, and cry about it? There are people who pray and plead for babies, who have empty wombs, and would do anything to have a child! Would they have tears? Absolutely not! They would jump and sing for joy!! Then there are those who have lost children, whose arms ache to hold their child again. I ache for them. Last night, I learned a big lesson. One that I should have learned long ago.

Thank you, God, for your favor and your blessings. I am so humbled and so grateful.

5 comments:

  1. Bethany! Congratulations on baby #3!! I can only imagine how nervous you were when you found out you were pregnant. I have thought long and hard about having more children and we have decided we do want more but I know as soon as it happens I won't be content until at least that first ultrasound. Of course we would all do anything we had to for our children but this is definetly not something you hope to deal with again. Hope that you are feeling okay! When is this bundle of joy due to arrive? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you about baby #3! What a sweet post to set the tone for my day! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a sweet post. So happy for you and Brooks and this new little one. Tell Brooks hi and that I miss him.

    Kristi Glasgow

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing, Bethany. I can certainly relate to how you feel. When I found out I was pregnant with Marti (Derek was only 4 months old!!!), I cried for weeks ... and that in the face of a friend who had been trying for years ... made me feel sick for being so "lackadaisical" about the miracle of life. And look what a blessing I received. We love you so much, and know baby 3 will be loved beyond measure. You ARE blessed ... but so are we.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay Beth! Congrats!! I miss you! I am so excited for ya'll. Thanks for being open about your feelings but praise God that He has turned your heart around! That is so awesome and exciting!! We are praying for #3 now.....I can't wait :)

    I love your new blog design!! Cute just like your family :) Love you!!

    Rach

    ReplyDelete

Designed with love by BDD