Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Officially Post-Fontan!!

Before bed, and as they fall asleep, all of my kids love listening to music. Especially Praise Baby music. We have played this at bedtime almost every single night since Emma Kate was a baby. They love it. And I love it because it is so soothing and teaches them scripture through song.

So, this morning, I woke up around 4:00 with a song in my head. At first I was really annoyed because all I wanted to do was go back to sleep, knowing that we had a long day ahead of us. I tossed and turned, but I couldn't fall back asleep. The song kept playing over and over again. You know when you really know a song? You don't really pay attention to the words all that much, but for whatever reason, I was very aware of the words that go along to the tune that was playing in my mind.

These are the words, that for some reason, had never stuck with me until this very moment in time.

I have a maker
He formed my heart
Before even time began,
My life was in His hands

He knows my name
He knows my every thought
He sees each tear that falls,
And hears me when I call

I have a Father
He calls me His own
He'll never leave me
No matter where I go

He knows my name
He knows my every thought
He sees each tear that falls,
And hears me when I call

I have a maker
My life is in His hands

After realizing the words to the tune running through my head, I felt so much peace about today. I honestly cannot explain it. If you know me well, you know I get kind of anxious about things out of my control. It is not at all easy to give up control. I always have some kind of doubt or fear lingering in the back of my mind. But today, I just didn't. It was weird. But it was my Maker. Emma Kate's Maker. Who FORMED HER HEART! (Are you kidding me, song? Were you not totally written for my daughter!?)

No, in all seriousness, I truly felt the hand of God today. We had countless people texting, messaging, and praying. Brooks and I feel blessed beyond measure that Emma Kate is doing so well. We knew that no matter the outcome of this surgery, it was completely His will and He would be glorified. And we are grateful and completely humbled at the power of our God. Her life is in His hands. Trusting and knowing this, we cannot express how again and again He has been faithful.

Thank you ALL for blessing us with your prayers, time, love, thoughts, gifts. We are truly grateful to have such wonderful friends and family in our lives.

Right now Emma Kate is doing well. She is in CICU and has a nurse with her constantly monitoring. She was extubated around 5:15 and is now breathing on her own with a little oxygen blowing in her nose. She's asking for water, and when she speaks, she's very hoarse. Her throat is irritated from the tube. But that will get better with time. She is hurting a little bit from her chest tubes. Those are inserted below her chest incision to drain fluid from her body. Right now the fluid is red, and is thinning out. What we want is CLEAR fluid to drain and less and less of it as the days go on. Her nurse told us that she will probably remember little from her stay in ICU and they are talking already about sending her to the floor tomorrow. (When I say "the floor," it is just a term meaning she will go to a private room where Brooks and I will stay with her. We also call this the Step Down unit).

If you are praying for us, we are so thankful and have a couple of specific requests. Please pray against infection, that she heals well, that her chest tube drainage is normal and that her body will continue to adapt to her new physiology. She is already looking so great! Her skin looks more pink and not gray, pale and "dusky" the way it has looked before. (Her TOES are pink!! Her LIPS are pink!! My fellow heart mamas will understand what a big deal that is!)

Here are a few pictures from our day.

 Arriving at 6 am with her Lalaloopsy dolls. She loved riding in the wagon up to her room.

Being silly with our girl before she got the medicine that made her sleep.

Sleeping right before they took her back to the OR.

Post-vent and resting well.

4 comments:

  1. My first words to Marti after we saw the post-vent pic was "She's so PINK!" I loved seeing that! Love to you all, and still praying! Glad I got to spend some quality time with AB and K today ... and your mom ... loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am crying happy tears. So beautiful, Bethany. And even in her post-op state, she looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you Emma Kate :) I know you'll be well again and swimming like a fish in no time :)
    <3 kristy Yarbrough

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad that things are going so well for Emma Kate! Continued prayers for a smooth and swift recovery!

    ReplyDelete

Designed with love by BDD