Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Her Diagnosis

We had an appointment in the Fetal Anomolies clinic today at UAB hospital with Dr. John Owen. He performed an ultrasound and we got several measurements on Emma Kate's body and he indeed confirmed a diagnosis of Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. The technology was pretty amazing; we were able to see the blood flow in and out of her heart. Dr. Owen was obviously very educated and knew exactly what he was looking at. But not all of my questions were answered today. I had written down a list of about 25 questions. But he was not the person to ask these questions to. He was very "textbook" as Brooks put it. He just described what was going on, but there wasn't a whole lot of empathy going on... I think he was just trying to do his job and the way he explained things was very clinical and technical. I just left the office thinking that now I have more questions than answers.

Of course, this diagnosis was not news that we wanted to hear. But we continue to be faithful in prayer. Thank you, everyone, who has been praying for Emma Kate and our family. Your prayers mean so very much to us! I guess to describe the way I am feeling is to say that I am not quite sure. I just don't know how to process it. All I do at this point is cry when I think about my daughter being born with HLHS. I know that this will be an uphill battle we are facing, but I also believe that God's will for our lives is perfect, and that no mistake has been made. I look at Anna Brooke and I think about when she was born and how much love I have for her and it makes things hard. I think that as a first-time mom, I was paranoid about little things with her. I can't imagine how I am going to feel when Emma Kate is born.

She will, indeed need surgery. Tomorrow morning at 9:30 we have an appointment with a Pediatric Cardiologist named Dr. Colvin. I pray that we get more answers and more comfort knowing what will be the outcome of this condition. I pray that this doctor is more empathetic and allows us time to ask all the questions we have and gives us clear answers. More tomorrow...

2 comments:

  1. Will continue to pray, Bethany! I know I sound like a broken record probably, but just wanted y'all to know you are constantly thought about and lifted up!

    Love y'all, Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. MANY people are joining you in those prayers, Bethany. God loves you and your sweet family and promises that He "carries you close to His heart; He gently leads those that have young." Isaiah 40:11
    I love you,
    Mom, (Dad and Zach, too)

    ReplyDelete

Designed with love by BDD