Monday, July 21, 2008

Change of Plans?

I think I might be changing my mind about some stuff with Emma Kate's birth. Brooks and I were talking yesterday about the move and other things. I was telling him how much I want to be close to him before I go into labor. I am dreading going to Atlanta by myself with Anna Brooke. It isn't that I mind staying with friends and/or family, but I want him to be there if anything were to happen. I also want AB to have as much normalcy as possible. I know we are moving, but if we go to Atlanta to have EK, we will be away from home much longer than I had originally planned. Anyway, my thoughts are this: what if we go ahead and move as planned... but I don't go to Atlanta to have EK? What are the pros? What are the cons? Let's see:

PROS of staying in Birmingham to give birth:
  • We will be able to get slightly more settled into our new apartment (hopefully) before EK is born.
  • AB will be at home instead of away from home.
  • We will be able to spend as much time with Brooks as possible.
  • Brooks will be there when I go into labor or when I am induced.
  • I already know the doctors who will deliver EK.
  • The hospital/downtown area is more familiar to me than Northside/Atlanta.
  • AB will be able to stay at home when I deliver instead of being at someone else's home that she isn't familiar with.
CONS of staying in Bham:
  • Safety of EK? (For example, if she is really sick and needs to have surgery immediately we will be 2 hours from Egleston).
PROS of going to Atlanta:
  • We will be 15 minutes from Egleston.
  • We will already be kind of situated in Atlanta, where we will most likely be for at least 3-4 weeks.
  • We have family/friends that are close by and more than willing to help. (Thank you!)
CONS of going to ATL:
  • We will be away from home.
  • Unfamiliarity with Northside and Dr. Howard's practice. (I don't remember if I have said this already, but I am having a really tough time getting my records over to his office for whatever reason. Plus, this is the only office we had trouble with on the day of our visit. They didn't know what was going on with me or our situation. Plus, they are not high-risk docs).
  • I will have to get myself established with yet another doctor, a neonatologist, for after EK is born. (I already have this established in Bham).
  • We won't be able to get very settled into our apartment before AB and I have to drive to Atlanta.
  • We will be 2 hours away from Brooks.
  • If I go into labor, what exactly would I do with AB? Especially without Brooks being there?
  • Brooks will have to drive 2 hours to ATL if I do go into labor.
  • I feel a lot more uncertainty going to ATL and giving birth there than I do here.
I want to make sure that if we do choose to deliver in Birmingham I am not compromising the safety of my daughter. That is my number one concern. I don't want something to go wrong with her and us be 2 hours away from her surgery site. Brooks and I plan to touch base with doctors on this end and in Atlanta before we decide for sure. Please pray with us as we make a decision!

3 comments:

  1. weigh all your options and do what is best for all of you. We can tell you what we'd do but that may not be what is best for you guys.

    Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God has worked out a solution every step of the way for sweet little Emma Kate. Trust Him to guide you through the doctors and your hearts. I believe you'll have peace with the right choice for all of you. We are praying with you.
    love, mom/nana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am praying for you, Bethany. I can't imagine how difficult of a time this must be for you and your family, but I am confident that God already has this one figured out. I pray that you keep your heart and mind open to Him and his desires for you and Emma Kate, and that whatever decision be made that it is through Christ. Take care love; I am certainly thinking of you often.

    ReplyDelete

Designed with love by BDD