Tuesday, November 11, 2008

We are Tube-less!

... for today, anyway!


Yesterday our OT and nurse came by at the same time (very rare). I got to chat with both of them about feeding Emma Kate. She is gaining weight steadily, weighs 9lbs 15oz, and she's doing good with bottle feeds. She is consistently taking more than half of her feed by mouth each feeding time. One concern I had was that EK is on continuous feeds every night for 8 hours at a rate of 25ml per hour. She doesn't wake up hungry. We feed her around 8:30 or 9 am. I want her to be hungry so she'll eat more from a bottle. The nurse agreed and said that she thought we should just try feeding on demand during the day from now on. This morning I thought, "Lets try without the NG tube!"
So here we are at 1:30 in the afternoon and she's had two feedings today. At 9am she took 42ml my mouth and at 11:45 she took 60ml! She's sound asleep (eating wears her out!) but I am sure that she'll eat again when she wakes up! Pray that Emma Kate does well with her feedings and maybe.... just maybe we'll be done with the NG tube soon!

5 comments:

  1. This is just GREAT! I know y'all are so happy. Will tonight be the first overnight off the tube? We'll be praying that all goes well and that she keeps the tube OUT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay~! That is great Bethany! She is so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is AWESOME NEWS!

    I've been thinking about you - it was a pleasure chatting with you last night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now That's an answer to prayer, Bethany! You go, Emma Kate! We are so proud of you!
    Love,
    Nana and Papa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know she'll continue to do great off the tube. Great thinking Bethany! We're so proud of all of you guys! I know it's been hard, but you have all done amazing!

    We love you,

    ReplyDelete

Designed with love by BDD