Monday, March 30, 2009

appreciating the SMALL things

We have been home now for a few weeks, almost a month. I think just about every day someone has asked me, "So, how are things going now that you're at home?" My short answer is usually, "Things are great. We're back in a routine and we're loving being home!" There are so many great things that I am loving about Emma Kate being at home, I could go on forever.
Mostly, it just feels like normal life. That is what I love the most. I love feeling like I have a "normal" baby. I love that if I don't say anything, you wouldn't know about her heart. (She just looks that great, people!) I love that she is getting stronger every day, that she is eating rice cereal, fruits and veggies, that she is back on normal formula. I love that she is sleeping in her crib and wearing regular clothes (not a hospital gown). I love that she is on fewer meds now than she ever has been (she's still on five, but at one point she was on 8 or 9!) I just LOVE normal.
Today we went to see Dr. Law for a check-up. Emma Kate's x-ray was completely clear. He said her heart function looked wonderful, her valve isn't as leaky as it had been before, and she even gained a bit of weight. She's now 12 lbs 8 oz (still small, I know) but she is making progress. Dr. Law doesn't want to see her for FOUR months! That is so awesome!! She'll be almost a year old when we go back to see him!

Emma Kate spends a lot of time playing on the floor with her toys. Here she is the other day after having rolled over from her back. It was the first time she has done this that I can recall! I am so thrilled! (Don't you just love all my piles of laundry around the room?) She hates being on her tummy, but she is slowly making progress. I know she's a bit behind on her developmental milestones, but look at all the kid has been through! I think for a child who has been through all she has, she's doing simply awesome! We have a physical therapist who comes to the house to work with her every other week and does great with her, and I think soon she'll be caught up.

For now we are just enjoying being home and appreciating all the little things in life.

8 comments:

  1. YEAH!!!!! I'm so glad that she's growing so big! I loved seeing her yesterday and holding her again. It seems like forever since I had held her. BIG milestones for you all! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a darling babe!! This post makes me SOO happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She looks great! She'll catch up in her own time. Enjoy every minute.
    Faith Mahoney (mom to Maggie Jane, HRHS)

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is doing great!!! Making up for some lost time, she will make great strides in those milestones before you know it! We are so glad things are in a "normal mode" for you all now. God is great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!!! I am so happy for her! I can't wait to see her and play with her!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a blessing to enjoy each and every one of the small moments. She is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY!!! I'm so happy to hear how well she's doing! I was just thinking about yall the other day, and thrilled to see this post!

    I haven't forgot about lunch, just have family in town visiting this week. It'll be soon! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just wanted to let you know I received the bags and syringes and it is EXACTLY what we needed :) I'm so glad I came across your blog for so many reasons. Our HLHS daughter is developmentally behind too but seriously after what these babies go through it's nothing short of a miracle that they're here with us. I can tell you the day Izzy sat all by herself but don't ask me about my other kid's firsts! LOL! Take each day as it comes and cherish it. Emma Kate is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Designed with love by BDD