Monday, February 2, 2009

Finally an Update!

She's such a happy baby
Chillin' in the exersaucer!


I know we have kind of left the blog world out of the loop for a while. I'm sorry. After I got back to Birmingham, Brooks and I have both had our hands full. Well, I've had a lot more free time than Brooks has had, that is for sure. Poor guy, he's been taking such good care of Emma Kate. He's the best dad in the whole world! I am so thankful for him and for being such a loving and caring father. I couldn't have picked one better for my kids.
Brooks has been consumed with trying to help Emma Kate feel better. Right now, she is on continuous feeds. She wasn't tolerating the bottle or bolus feeds via ng tube. For the past couple of days she has been refluxing pretty badly. He said her face gets really red, her heart rate and sats drop while she heaves and tries to get everything up out of her little tummy. Poor baby. It was not that bad when I was there! Her congestion and coughing has cleared up for the most part. She had a total of about four breathing treatments over the past few days and we think that has helped her tremendously. She seems to feel much better afterward. As of this morning her lungs looked clear (no more fluid on them) and her diaphragm looked less elevated. Thankfully, Dr. Kirshbom is back this week and we can take some action and get Emma Kate feeling better.

At 11am EK is having an upper GI test done. She will drink a little and have an x-ray behind her to figure out where it is going and what is happening when she refluxes. Then a decision will be made on how to treat her. The meds obviously aren't doing the trick. Apparently, surgery to fix this is an option, but it is the most extreme case, I believe. We will have to wait and see what the doctor thinks. Please be in prayer for Emma Kate this morning, especially at 11am (EST). Thanks, friends! I will update when I have more info.

3 comments:

  1. Am so glad you updated...have been wondering how Emma Kate (and y'all) are doing. I hope the GI gives you some answers and solutions!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm praying for you and your family, Bethany! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's soooo good to see a happy baby face from ms. emma kate! i love you bethany and am sending e-mail hugs to you and yours!!

    jenifriend

    ReplyDelete

Designed with love by BDD