Monday, February 16, 2009

Rough Night

Friends,

Quickly just wanted to let y'all know what is going on. Emma Kate had a rough night. Since her PICC line came out, they will not reinsert another for at least 24 hours, I believe. A couple of nurses from CI came down to see if they could find any vein that would allow her to get TPN. They found one in her left wrist, inserted an IV and got the fluids moving. Not 30 or 40 minutes later, her arm started turning red and then almost purple! A neonatologist came down as well as the on call cardiologist. They turned off TPN and the color in her arm went back to normal. So, no IV nutrition all night; just Pedialyte. She slept well all night and took a long, long nap today. Dr. Lau (not Dr. Law, but Dr. Lau) came in to let us know that they would like to do a heart catheterization on EK tomorrow afternoon. They will measure the pressures in her heart and see if she has developed any collateral arteries, which might be compensating for the higher blood volume which comes after the Glenn. Its hard to explain, and I will try to better express what will happen tomorrow when I have more time. They will also probably put in a central line (for the purpose of getting TPN) during the cath. In the meantime, we can give her Portagen!!! Yay! At least she won't be hungry. I know I sound like a broken record, but thank you for all your prayers! I know they are getting us through this tough time! I will update again soon!

5 comments:

  1. Myself and at least 3 people I know have committed to fast and pray for Emma Kate and for wisdom and a way ahead for the doctors tomorrow. We love you and look forward to good news.
    love you so much,
    mom/nana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Bethany,

    I am so sorry Emma Kate (and all of you) are having to go through this. We are praying for you all costantly!

    Love,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Continuing to pray!!! And especially for the cath tomorrow- hopefully they'll be able to find the answers they're looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't even know what to say, except that I really feel for you all and will keep praying hard for Emma Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We'll keep praying! I often wonder why things happen and only He knows His plans for us. I pray that He gives you comfort and patience and the knowledge that even through the hardest times He is taking care of you! His hand is on your precious baby every step of the way. She's in the best hands...

    ReplyDelete

Designed with love by BDD