Thursday, February 26, 2009

Post Op Day 1

It is pretty early; As tired as I was last night, I am surprised that I'm awake. I guess I am ready to go see my baby.

Emma Kate had a good day yesterday. And by good, I mean that after surgery it was pretty uneventful. She was in pain for the latter part of the day after her nerve block started to wear off. I know I sort of touched on this before, but this surgery is supposed to be pretty painful to recover from. Apparently the anytime you have a thoracotomy (an incision in the chest to gain access to thoracic organs) it is painful. Her incision starts right around the bottom of her right shoulder blade, running horizontally under her right arm. Its not a very big incision, but because there are so many nerve endings and muscle tissues in that area, its quite painful to recover from. As any mother feels about her child, I hate that Emma Kate will have to endure any pain whatsoever.


Anesthesia gave her a nerve block during the procedure to help prevent any pain for 6-12 hours after surgery. We could definitely tell a change in her demeanor when it wore off. She got Morphine and Versed several times yesterday. She has been intubated (had a breathing tube) all day yesterday. Our nurse told us that this would help with pain, since breathing might be more difficult because of the placement of the incision and the pain in that area. They did a few trials last night, slowly weaning her off the breathing tube. She did fine, but she had several doses of morphine in order to help her deal with increased pain. The prediction is that she will be extubated this morning.


She has never had any problems in the past being weaned off the breathing tube, so I feel she will do fine. The tube goes down your throat and into the lungs, passing your voice box on the way. (Not the medical definition of being intubated, but you get the idea). She normally has a really "scratchy" voice for several days after being exubated. After her first surgery, she made no sounds at all, even when she was visibly crying. It was so pitiful.


When her nerve block and pain meds started wearing off yesterday, it was hard to see her. She is basically immobile, because of her breathing tube and because her arms are basically tied to the bed. Babies at this age always are, because if something is in your mouth that you don't want to be there, your first reaction is to reach up and grab it and take it out. The restraints don't hurt her, but I can imagine feeling pretty helpless when I can't move my arms the way I want to.
This was taken post-op Glenn, but this is very similar to how she looked yesterday.

The plan today is to see if she can be extubated and see how she does. Then she will probably start being fed! (First time in 11 days!! Yay!) And then we'll see about her drainage. She has her chest tube in still and it has only drained about 35ml as of last night, which is good. It is all blood at this point, just PRAY that after all the excess blood drains out that her chest drainage is minimal. This will tell us whether the surgery worked or not. Only time will tell.

10 comments:

  1. I pray that she will do well and no more drainage! I know you are so ready to feed that baby! Anna Brooke did fine after hearing stories from you and Brooks. Hopefully all of you will be reading stories together pretty soon! We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello sweet friends!! Blair, Jane, and I just wanted to check in and tell you we love you all. We miss you greatly and are praying for a speedy recovery. Please, Please, PLEASE let us know if there is anything we can do for ya'll.
    Keep Smiling! :)
    We Love you All,
    UAB Child Life-- Libby, Blair and Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, I know you just want to hold your sweet baby. I am praying that there is no more drainage and that the surgery worked!

    Lord,
    I lift Emma Kate to you right now. You knitted her innermost parts and you know every fiber of her. Lord please Heal her. Help her chest drainage to stop or be minimal. We know that you are in control, I pray that that comforts Brooks and Bethany. Only you can comfort them LORD. I praise you for how you are using this precious baby girl. You have a plan for Emma Kate, a plan to bless her. Help us believe in that and trust in that. In your Son's name.

    I love you bethany.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like she's doing great...we will keep praying for sure. Annalee had that same incision, and it honestly didn't bother her too much - I will hope the same for EK. Thoughts are with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Continuing to think of you and praying for Emma Kate today- especially that she won't be in much pain and will feed well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying today goes well & that the surgery was a success!

    Glad you found my other blog :) I actually started it before the girls' blog. Most of the links are friends from my college days. I blog about various things & not just the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are having to be so strong, mama. You are in my heart today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really are so strong. I don't know how you do it. Sigh. I'm praying for the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are continuing the prayers here in Florida for your precious little girl and your family. God is good and will continue to keep her in his tender mercies.
    Many more prayers,
    Charlotte Ruth's Nana

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a friend of Megan Strains and I have been following Emma Kate's story since before she was born.
    As a mom that understands having a sick baby, my heart literally hurts for you and Brooks sometimes as I read your blog.
    Also I keep a 2 year old heart patient in my home during the day. She has had 2 open heart surgeries and will have her 3rd one this summer. She is an absolute doll, a miracle, and huge blessing.
    Praying for all of you!!!! Seeing God's hand so evidently in Emma Kate's life will change your relationship with the Lord forever. I am amazed by his provision in our lives.

    ReplyDelete

Designed with love by BDD