Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Surgery is Tomorrow Morning

Here we are again, at Egleston. As I type, Emma Kate is fast asleep in her crib, even though she is currently having an echocardiogram done. She has had it rough this morning. At least three different phlebotomists have come in to stick her multiple times in order to squeeze any drop of blood from her little body. She is a human pincushion. Poor baby. It is so hard to see her go through all of this again. She is poked every day, but of course, she still wears a smile.

I am glad she's sleeping so much because tomorrow she will have surgery. Dr. Kirshbom's surgical coordinator came to speak to us this morning. She will be the first surgical case tomorrow. He will attempt a thoracic duct ligation. This means he will tie off the thoracic duct, which is the largest lymphatic vessel in the body. From my understanding, it kind of runs along the length of the spine, but don't quote me on that. This surgery is the next step in trying to solve this stubborn chylothorax problem. In 80-90% of cases, the problem would have been fixed by now, through one of all the different medical therapies that she's been through. This surgery is not a 100% guarantee, so we will definitely be praying about that. God is in control!
Dr Kirshbom just came in and said that this is the second baby he will perform this sort of surgery on. I trust him wholeheartedly. But I trust God more, and I know He will take care of my baby. We are ready for Emma Kate to heal; ready to take her home and love on her and let her play with her big sister. We are ready to let her experience life as a baby for truly the first time. We are ready to have her meet all the family she has not had a chance to meet yet. We are ready for home. Please keep Emma Kate in your prayers today and tomorrow, and we'll keep you posted.

8 comments:

  1. I am praying! I know you're so glad to be back at Egleston! I hope its a sigh of relief as you walk into tomorrow holding on to His grace! I'll be looking for updates, and trusting that all will go better than expected tomorrow! Praying for you Bethany, Brooks, Emma Kate, and Anna Brooke!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are praying for you now, and will be praying tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss Emma Kate and will be praying for her during her surgery tomorrow! Love you~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Between God and Paul Kirshbom, you guys have a great team behind you :) So many prayers going up for y'all and Emma Kate - I will be thinking about y'all tomorrow.
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  5. During hard times, I have found that a bit of praise goes a mighty long way... you have probably found that out too.

    Here's a great jump-start to sooth your heart.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgob5afanUg

    much love and many prayers from Charlotte Ruth's granny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have continued to pray for your precious little girl since Jenn (Charlotte's mommy) gave us the news. My heart is moved with your strengh and you are absolutely right when you state that "God is in control!" I pray that He will continue to embrace and covet your little angel and that He will grant you the graces necessary to overcome your fears and concerns.
    Many prayers and blessings,
    Charlotte's Nana

    ReplyDelete

Designed with love by BDD